CHINMAYA STUDY GROUPS
CONDUCTING A STUDY GROUP
The Study group starts with a prayer led by the leader of the group. An individual in the group will be asked to read the commentary of the verse that is being discussed and each one of the members participate in the discussion about the meaning of the verse. The group leader moderates the discussion, and clarifies any doubts that may arise. He may also take the position of opposition to generate discussion on the topic to clarify everyone’s understanding. The session ends with a peace invocation.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT STUDY GROUPS
- 1. Who can join a study group?
- Any one who has the intellectual acumen and aspiration and is interested in discovering their own true nature can join the study group.
- 2. What type of commitment I have to make?
- You have to make a commitment to study the scriptures and participate regularly each week in the discussion group without giving excuses for non-participation and attendance. Those who claim to have no time in their life for such activity will find in due course that they will have more time not only to their secular duties but also to do them well and manage their time much more efficiently after participating in study group.
- 3. Do I have to know Sanskrit?
- No. If you know, it is of course a good thing since all the scriptures are in that language.But the group leader will explain some words in the Sanskrit language and these may be essential to remember. All chanting in the class will be done in Sanskrit only, since they are readings from the original text, which is written in Sanskrit.
- 4. Is there a fee to join the study group?
- No. There is no fee to join the study group.
- 5. How can I join a study group?
- Please check the information about study groups in and around the bay area by clicking here.
- 6. I have never studied Vedanta? Can I attend the study classes?
- Yes, you can. There are tapes of lectures given by Swamijis in Chinmaya Mission and you can purchase them and listen and come up to speed in any of the scriptural texts.
- 7. Can I start a study Group in my own home?
- You can. If you are interested, please call email Jignesh Joshi (email@example.com).
- 8. Can our youngsters join the study group?
- Typically they should be older than 16 years to benefit from this program.
- 9. Can I join when study group is already started studying several verses of the text?
- You can. You have to put a little extra effort to come up to speed with the rest of the members of the group.
- 10. Who appoints the Sevika or Sevak?
- Chinmaya Mission has a number of individuals who have been trained to conduct study groups. Depending on many factors of convenience and availability one of these members will be requested to become the Sevika or Sevak of your group by the resident Acharya.