What’s new for 2020-21
- All classes will be online for the entire school year. CMSJ has standardized on Webex as the platform to conduct all classes. Please read this for information on getting ready for classes: https://www.cmsj.org/webex-information/
- The schedule is still listed by location for administrative purposes (Fremont, San Jose, San Mateo and San Ramon as primary locations). However, students from any location, including Berkeley, can choose any Bala Vihar schedule that works best for them.
- A global class schedule across all locations is published here: https://www.cmsj.org/bala-vihar/#schedule. Please consult this to determine the set of classes that works best for your children. It is possible to take a Bala Vihar class offered from one location-schedule along with optional classes from other schedules.
- Once you have determined the schedule/”location” of the classes, please proceed to the registration process. You will get Webex links from the class teacher(s) before the first class.
- Bala Vihar, Hindi language and Cognitive Math textbooks can be purchased online at https://bookstore.cmsj.org/collections/bala-vihar-text-books-1. Please choose the pickup location when placing your order. The CMSJ Bookstore team will contact you with a pickup time window.
- In consideration of economic hardships related to COVID-19, we are making a one-time reduction of the annual membership fee for 2020-21. Our community has always supported us well, and we are reducing our fees this year to support our community. The fee has been reduced to $450 for this year. The annual fee for a class e.g. Bala Vihar or Hindi, stays at $35 per child per class for the entire year. We expect we will increase our fees again only in 2021-22, provided economic conditions improve. Please reach out privately to the Bala Vihar coordinator of the location closest to you if you have any circumstances that need financial accommodation.
- Only parents or legal guardians can register a child e.g. you cannot register your niece or nephew or a family friend. This has always been the policy, but this year this will be enforced more strictly. You may be asked to provide documentation in case there are questions about registration. Refer to the Chinmaya Mission San Jose Bala Vihar Terms and Conditions for more details.
- The change fee of $35 per change is waived till Oct 31st, 2020. You can do this yourself. Instructions are in the FAQ document – follow steps for ‘Changes to Registration’.
- These classes are no longer offered for 2020-21:
- Cognitive Math under the San Ramon schedule.
- Hindi language classes on Saturday mornings under the Fremont schedule.
- Kannada language classes under the Fremont schedule
- Yoga classes are now offered Saturday morning under the Fremont schedule.
- Live discourses for adults: We are blessed to have a resident spiritual teacher at CMSJ, Brahmachari Soham Chaitanya. Soham ji will conduct live discourses for adults Saturday and Sunday mornings. As always adult classes are free and open to all. See Discourses for more details.
- Webex links sent with registration emails since Sep 10th 4pm. If your child(ren) are already registered find your class links here: Bala Vihar Transaction Summary
- Please send an email to email@example.com if you have any questions regarding Bala Vihar and other children’s classes.
CMSJ Bala Vihar Calendar 2020-21
The 2020-21 calendar below applies to all schedules.
Please note that the schedule is subject to change
|Sep 2020||12th, 19th, 26th||13th, 20th, 27th|
|Oct 2020||3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st||4th, 11th, 18th, 25th|
|Nov 2020||7th, 21st 14th Closed for Diwali, 28th for Thanksgiving||1st, 8th, 22nd 15th Closed for Diwali, 29th for Thanksgiving|
|Dec 2020||5th, 12th, 19th 26th closed for Winter break||6th, 13th, 20th 27th closed for Winter break|
|Jan 2021||9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th 2nd closed for Winter break||10th, 17th, 24th, 31st 3rd closed for Winter break|
|Feb 2021||6th, 20th, 27th 13th closed for President’s Day||7th, 21st, 28th 14th closed for President’s Day|
|Mar 2021||6th, 13th, 20th, 27th||7th, 14th, 21st, 28th|
|Apr 2021||3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th||4th, 11th, 18th, 25th|
|May 2021||1st, 8th, 15th 22nd Bala Utsav||2nd, 9th, 16th 23rd Bala Utsav|
Please note, however, that registration to just language classes is not supported. Students have to be enrolled in and attend Chinmaya Bala Vihar/Yuva Kendra classes to be eligible for language class. In other words, to register for language classes, students must first register in Chinmaya Bala Vihar/Yuva Kendra classes and attend them.
- San Mateo: Hindi
- San Jose: Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Sanskrit, Tamil and Telugu
- Fremont: Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Sanskrit and Telugu
- San Ramon: Sanskrit, Hindi, Malayalam and Telugu