Please read this before registering: Chinmaya Bala Vihar 2023-24 FAQs
Important Information for 2023-24
- All classes will be in-person for the full year. Class locations will be available at Bala Vihar Transaction Summary after Labor Day weekend.
- All Sunday San Jose classes will be conducted at Abraham Lincoln High School, 555 Dana Ave, San Jose. All Saturday San Jose classes will continue at Chinmaya Sandeepany Ashram, 10160 Clayton Rd, San Jose.
- Please check the class schedule by clicking on the links below:
- It is possible to take a Bala Vihar class offered from one location-schedule along with optional classes from other schedules.
- Once you have determined the schedule of the classes, please proceed to the registration process
- Bala Vihar textbooks can be ordered online for pickup at https://bookstore.cmsj.org/collections/bala-vihar-textbooks. Note that Hindi textbooks can only be purchased in person at the class location.
- Only parents or legal guardians can register a child e.g. you cannot register your niece or nephew or a family friend. You may be asked to provide documentation in case there are questions about registration. Refer to Chinmaya Mission San Jose Bala Vihar Terms and Conditions for more details.
- Please note that Chinmaya Bala Vihar is a required prerequisite for all classes, including languages and Swaranjali, Geeta Chanting , Yoga etc.
- The change fee of $35 per change is waived till Oct 31st, 2023.
- Following local guidelines, we strongly encourage (but do not require) everyone participating in any of our activities to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to wear masks.
- Changes in 2023-24:
- Mountain House – new location Bala Vihar classes
- Berkeley added a new class – Indian folk dance
- San Ramon added Shishu Vihar level 1 for Infants and children up to 3 years
- San Jose
- Added 10th grade to Saturday schedule
- All Cognitive Math classes are offered ONLY on SATURDAY
- Sanskrit (beginner level) class will be offered at both sessions of BV on Sunday, based on the grade level.
- Adults will attend chanting classes separately
- Vedic chanting classes will be offered for students in third grade and above
The 2023-24 calendar below applies to all locations.
Please note that the schedule is subject to change.
|Sep 2023||8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th||9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th||10th, 17th, 24th|
|Oct 2023||6th, 13th, 20th, 27th||7th, 14th, 21st, 28th||1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th|
|Nov 2023||3rd, 17th 10th closed for Diwali; 24th closed for Thanksgiving||4th, 18th 11th closed for Diwali; 25th closed for Thanksgiving||5th, 19th12th closed for Diwali; 26th closed for Thanksgiving|
|Dec 2023||1st, 8th, 15th 22nd & 29th closed for Winter break||2nd, 9th, 16th 23rd & 30th closed for Winter break||3rd, 10th, 17th 25th closed for Winter break|
|Jan 2024||5th, 12th, 19th, 26th||6th, 13th, 20th, 27th||7th, 14th, 21st, 28th 1st closed for Winter break|
|Feb 2024||2nd, 9th, 23rd 16th closed for President’s Day||3rd, 10th, 24th 17th closed for President’s Day||4th, 11th, 25th 18th closed for President’s Day|
|Mar 2024||1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th||2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th||3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st|
|Apr 2024||5th, 12th, 19th, 26th||6th, 13th, 20th, 27th||7th, 14th, 21st, 28th|
|May 2024||3rd, 10th 10th Bala Utsav||4th, 11th 11th Bala Utsav||5th, 12th, 19th 19th Bala Utsav|
Bala Vihar in the Bay Area was started in 1981 by our dear Uma Auntie under the guidance of Pujya Gurudev. It has grown from a humble beginning of 6 children to over 2150 students spread across five locations today.
The classes are arranged according to the school system – Kindergarten through High School (K-12). We do not place children in class by age. The grade in which the child is enrolled in school is the consideration for admission to Chinmaya Bala Vihar/Yuva Kendra.
About Shishu Vihar (Bala Vihar for Children under 5 years)
Please note, however, that registration to just language classes is not supported. Students have to be enrolled in and attend Chinmaya Bala Vihar/Yuva Kendra classes to be eligible for language class. In other words, to register for language classes, students must first register in Chinmaya Bala Vihar/Yuva Kendra classes and attend them.
- San Mateo: Hindi
- San Jose: Hindi, Malayalam, Samskritam, Tamil and Telugu
- Fremont: Hindi, Malayalam, Samskritam and Telugu
- San Ramon: Samskritam, Hindi, and Telugu